2 Roundhouse Road
0300 1237890 ext 4070
Derby Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has teamed up with Derby College to broaden young people’s career opportunities in healthcare.
The move is the latest addition to Derby College’s Employer Academy programme – designed to boost students’ job prospects and address skills shortages in key industries and professions.
Derby College and Derby Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust have worked together for many years on a wide range of training and education programmes recruit and upskill existing members of staff.
The Trust also provides valuable work experience opportunities for more than 70 Health and Social Care students a year at the College as part of their course and to strengthen their applications to university.
Under the Academy programme, Health and Social Care students will initially benefit from expert lectures, workplace visits, special projects and further work experience throughout the organisation.
It is planned to expand the Academy in the future to include students in other areas such as IT, Business and Science A level students.
The Academy will also highlight the wide range of career opportunities within the Trust from healthcare to administration.
Derby Teaching Hospitals Director of Workforce Dr Neil Pease said: “We were keen to join the innovative Employer Academy programme to broaden the work that we already undertaken in partnership with Derby College and highlight to young people the diverse range of career paths which we can offer as a large teaching hospital.
“There are some particular allied healthcare professions that are experiencing national recruitment issues such as Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Midwifery and Radiography.
“The broad scope of the Academy will hopefully provide us with the opportunity to address these skills shortages here in Derby and also broaden the students’ horizons when they are considering future careers in healthcare in the city.”
Derby College Business Development Director April Hayhurst added: “Derby Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is the tenth organisation to join our Employer Academy programme.
“The Academy will provide fantastic opportunities for students across the College to gain a valuable insight into the work of various professions in healthcare and provide them with special projects and work experience which will greatly enhance their UCAS applications and job prospects in the NHS.
“The work experience programme for Health and Social Care students has already been a huge success with young people working as volunteers to develop their personal and employability skills.
“Through the Academy, we aim to work in partnership with the Trust to expand the work experience for students already planning careers in healthcare professions and also highlight the career prospects available at the Trust across the College curriculum areas.”
The Derby Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Academy joins those already launched in partnership with key employers in the city. Hundreds of students have already enrolled on Academies to support their courses in Business, Construction, IT, Sport, Hospitality, Professional Cookery and Engineering programmes at the College.
- Atlas Building and Groundworks Academy: focusing on the multi-skills required for the groundworks industry to support construction students into an apprenticeship
- Cricket Derbyshire Hospitality Academy: which also provides Catering and Hospitality students at the College with potential for paid part time work
- Cricket Derbyshire Sports Academy: based at Derbyshire County Cricket Club – providing training and work experience opportunities for Sports students
- Derby Telegraph Media Sales Academy: giving Business students a unique insight into the demanding world of media sales
- epm:technology Advanced Composites Academy: introducing Engineering students to the rapidly expanding advanced composites manufacturing industry
- Hodginson Brickwork Academy: based in Ilkeston with a guaranteed interview for all students at the end of the course
- Huub Marketing and Product Development Academy: enabling Business students to be involved in Huub which is a growing company designing triathlon wetsuits for international markets
- iBox Web and Programme Development Academy: aimed at IT students to boost their web and software development skills
- The Finesse Collection Professional Cookery Academy: with Catering and Hospitality students working alongside top chefs at the Cathedral Quarter Hotel, Donington Manor Hotel and at the host of events handled by the company’s outdoor catering division – Finesse Hospitality.
For more information about the Academy programme, visit www.derby-college.ac.uk or call 0800 028 0289.